Back pain is a rather unpleasant phenomenon that may indicate the presence of serious diseases. The lower back has a greater load compared to other parts of the spine, so it is more prone to injury.
Spasm in the lower back can be a symptom of sciatica, osteochondrosis, scoliosis and many other pathologies.
Pain in the lower back: possible causes
This can happen after sports training, after staying in one position for a long time, after awkward movement.
- childbirth / recent childbirth;
- sport training;
- sedentary work (drivers, cashiers, etc. );
- work related to significant physical exertion;
- Work in a standing position.
After the reset, the discomfort disappears by itself - just rest is enough. Its periodic appearance indicates the presence of pathology. Without quality therapy, the condition can significantly worsen: sometimes only surgical intervention is indicated.
Diseases accompanied by discomfort in the lumbar region
In medicine, this symptom is classified as primary and secondary.
In the first case, discomfort is caused directly by diseases of the back, in particular the spine:
- osteochondrosis of this area (a third of all cases of pain);
- spondylosis / spondylolisthesis / spondyloarthrosis;
- Intervertebral disc protrusion or intervertebral hernia.
They say about secondary pains when they are caused by damage to other organs:
- fracture due to osteoporosis;
- tumor in the spinal canal;
- spine fracture;
- muscle strain;
- anatomical narrowness of the spinal canal;
- Kyphosis / scoliosis / kyphoscoliosis / Scheuermann-Mau disease;
- arthritis (rheumatic, psoriatic, osteoarthritis);
- discitis, osteomyelitis, tuberculosis of the spine;
- On the part of the genitourinary system: urolithiasis/pyelonephritis;
- Gynecological diseases: ovarian cyst or cyst, endometriosis;
- Complicated pregnancy.
Types of pain
severe back pain
This is observed during osteochondrosis. Discomfort occurs when moving, sitting, lifting heavy objects and even when coughing/sneezing. Unpleasant sensations can be felt in the lower limbs. The patient urgently needs a neurologist.
Sciatica is accompanied by severe discomfort. The pain is dull or sharp, aching, usually unilateral.
It can give buttock, thigh and even lower leg; Aggravated by changing position, coughing, walking. Sciatica is treated by a neurologist. Patients are advised to rest on a firm mattress that supports the lower back.
Acute back pain
This can be caused by prolonged sitting in an uncomfortable position, carrying/lifting heavy objects, falls, bumps, sudden movements, as well as scratches and hypothermia.
An acute attack is accompanied by displacement of the intervertebral discs. The latter occurs with a fracture of the spine, osteochondrosis, heavy physical work, weight lifting.
Displacement can also occur in this area after surgery. The diagnosis in this case is carried out by a neurologist. He will also prescribe treatment.
Painful pain in the lower back
This happens during myositis - inflammation of the back muscles. The disease appears after a sharp voltage or hypothermia. It is accompanied by stiffness of movements. Pain occurs during sharp movement.
Chronic (permanent) back pain
Periodic attacks are accompanied by spondylosis deformans. And the affected area may become numb. In addition, leg weakness is sometimes observed.
It should also be taken into account that chronic pain is characteristic of Bekhterev's disease and oncological pathologies. They can also indicate metabolic disorders.
Sometimes it seems to a person that the lower part of the waist hurts, but in fact the cause is defeating a completely different part of the body. This happens with diseases of the pelvic organs, pancreas, kidneys, colon.
Back pain: when to consult a doctor?
Do not hesitate to visit a specialist in the following cases:
- The attack lasts for 3 days or more;
- Discomfort appeared after the injury;
- At the same time, pains in the back, lower leg and foot;
- The pain syndrome is combined with numbness of one limb.
What to do with severe spasms in the lower back
If the causes are unknown, the temperature should be measured. An increase in this indicator indicates infection and inflammation. There are also other symptoms (disturbance of stool, vomiting, pain only on one side). Then you need to call a doctor or an emergency team.
If the causes are known, such as muscle strain or bruising, you should first take an anti-inflammatory medication to reduce discomfort.
Relieves swelling, increases fluid circulation to remove harmful substances from the body, a single dose of diuretic helps.
An orthopedic belt or even an ordinary towel will help to fix the muscles and bones in a stable position.
What not to do with lower back discomfort
It is forbidden to carry out warming procedures without making a diagnosis.
They provoke blood flow, which is not always safe. Do not use painkillers during prolonged discomfort of unknown nature. In this case, the disease still progresses, but without discomfort.
Spine installation in any part of the back by a chiropractor is possible only after examination, diagnosis and determination of the underlying cause of the pathology. Vertebrae are not always displaced by trauma; It can also occur as a result of dystrophic processes. Reduction can stretch the nerve and destroy the spinal processes.
How to treat back pain at home: folk recipes
An alcohol tincture of burdock or eucalyptus can help relieve discomfort. It can also be used for compresses. For the same purpose, fresh horsetail leaves are applied to the affected area. They change daily as needed.
- Ointment with horse chestnut. The melted fat is mixed with dried horse chestnut grass and camphor oil. Components are taken in equal proportions. The agent is applied to thin slices of black bread and applied to the affected areas;
- You can treat with horse chestnut tincture. A cotton cloth or gauze is soaked in it, which is thrown on the back;
- Effectively relieves discomfort of joints and bones in the tincture of the golden mustache "Bishofit". In ½ l of the latter, it is necessary to add 35-40 parts of the plant. The mixture remains for 14 days. When time passes, it is filtered and used for compresses at night.
Nutrition for back problems
To strengthen the bone system, you need to enrich the diet with healthy foods and reduce the amount of harmful ones in it.
Liver and fatty fish (eg salmon, sardines, mackerel) are very beneficial. These foods contain large amounts of vitamin D, fatty acids and niacin.
Dairy products, meat, cereals, fresh fruits, especially garlic and lemon - all this should prevail in the diet.
A lot of potassium is found in cabbage and spinach, and vitamin C is found in citrus fruits.
Vitamin A can be obtained from eggs, dark green leafy vegetables, red, orange and yellow fruits.
You should consume less caffeinated drinks, as well as sweets, spicy, fatty and fried foods.
Exercises for the spine
In case of minor discomfort, as well as for the prevention of such in the back area, it is recommended to perform a set of exercises:
- Lie on your back, bend your arms along your body, bend your legs slightly at the knees. The legs bend to the right, and the body in the opposite direction. In this state, they freeze for 5 seconds, then return to their original state. Turn in the same way in the other direction. You must perform 10 approaches;
- Kneeling down, put your hands on the chair in front of you. Then bend and arch your back as much as possible. perform up to 10 approaches;
- Lie on your back, arms/legs straight. First, the right leg is raised about 15 cm from the floor and kept up until the feeling of fatigue appears. Repeat the same with the left leg. You should complete 5 sets of each leg.
Prevention of back pain
To reduce the risk of problems, you should follow some simple rules:
- less time sitting;
- When working while sitting, every hour do a small warm-up for the spine, limbs;
- lift / carry weights correctly - keep your back straight, do not lift sharply, divide the load into parts;
- perform exercises to strengthen the muscular corset (spinal support);
- The mattress should be moderately firm to properly support the lower back;
- Watch your posture, don't kneel;
- Get up to the wall more often, touch it with your heels, buttocks, shoulder blades. You should stand in this position for 3 minutes;
- To strengthen the muscles of the spine, it is recommended to engage in sports: walking, skiing, Wushu/qigong exercises, swimming, yoga;
You should not go jogging, boxing, tennis, martial arts, skiing, horse riding.